Sunday, February 21, 2016

Lovely Lavender

Ok, so I have to tell you Alice is now cutting her 5th tooth at 7 and a half months old....yeah, life is pretty crazy in the Koken House right now.... Talking about oils is my escape from the day that will most definitely be filled with "loads" of laundry, a round up of the multiplying doggie tumbleweeds, and heaps of dirty diapers...only the last one does a mom look forward to so she can check off "normal bowels" on the good parenting board every day.

 
Oh Ned...you have no idea...



Also, if you are in the same boat at me - get these. Dollar general and Publix have them. Cut up favorite fruit/veggie into small chunks and freeze them. Then, when the time comes, and you know it will, shove as many frozen pieces as you can in this contraption, hand to baby and WALK AWAY!  I love these things - they've been our saving grace through these little monsters of teeth....

Enough of that...let's talk oils!

 Lavender....I feel like it doesn't get enough love for its many other uses. Sure we all know it helps with relaxation and sleep - I know best of all. But did you know it's great for acne or poison ivy/oak or even an array of skin issues? It's also beneficial for PMS or menopause - even for dandruff and diaper rash!

Here is the minute long video from doTERRA for Lavender:


Pretty good stuff right?!

Now I have to be honest with you - if you've read any of my previous posts you know I don't totally dig the smell of Lavender...I know, I know. I can deal with it diffused but I use very little on my temples and behind my ears (diluted) at bed time because the smell is just a little too much for me. Now the hubby - LOVES it! To each his own....

I still use it and LOVE what it has done for me at night - sleeping the whole night through was a rarity for me in the past. Now I have no issues whatsoever - I even tried to go without it one night....NEVER again! I found myself lying there at 2 AM wide away and I quickly applied my oils and 20 minutes later I was out. I used to lie away for HOURS!

It's also pretty amazing for skin issues. I am one of the few who are lucky enough to only get the occasional blemish but when I do Lavender usually clears it up within about a day or two compared to the usual 5-7 day stretch.

Now one thing I do use Lavender for A LOT is diaper rash ointment - here is the link to it from the doTERRA blog: http://doterrablog.com/diy-diaper-cream/ . In the "what you need" section it only says Lavender but below that is says Melaleuca as well - I do a combo of both or sometime I swap out the Melaleuca for Roman Chamomile.

I also get wicked dry skin in the winter but mainly for my scalp I use this DIY recipe, again, from doTERRA: http://doterrablog.com/essentially-lush-locks-diy-all-natural-deep-hair-conditioner/ . I just make sure to use Lavender oil where is says to add the oils you want. You can also use Wintergreen, Cypress, Rosemary, Cedarwood and Thyme - all good options for dandruff! I also make an after shower spray for my hair to help repair any damage and make it super shiny. You will need:
  • Coconut oil –  deep conditions hair
  • Lavender Oil – will not only make your hair smell good but also help in treating dandruff, dry and itchy scalp.
  • Distilled or filtered water or rose water
  • Few drops of vitamin e oil (optional)
  • Add 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil with 3 drops of lavender oil along with 1 cup of filtered water into a spray bottle. Shake well each time your use it and mist it all over your hair - but you don't need a lot.

    Also, adding a drop of Lavender to your mascara can help strengthen and volumize your lashes - just be careful not to get it IN your eyes.

    Bugs don't really care for the smell of Lavender so it's great in a spray before going outside to help ward off pests.

    Research has proven that aromatherapy with Lavender has assisted in the alleviation of PMS and menopause symptoms. Here is a good article on the affects of Lavender and menopause: http://zunanaturals.com/lavender-essential-oil-for-the-menopause-and-what-to-steer-clear-of/ .

    I hope this has been a good one for you today and you will think of Lavender when you are stumped - it has way more uses that what we have even touched on here. See the info page below:




    If you want to learn more about oils or have an interest in becoming a wellness advocate with doTERRA click here: http://www.mydoterra.com/alisakoken/#/

    or email me at: alisakoken@gmail.com

    Until next time - which will be Peppermint....so long!

    -Mama Bear Koken


    No comments:

    Post a Comment